What to start making beautiful garments but don’t know where to start? Don’t worry, you don’t even need to know how to use a sewing machine, with our basic sewing class, you will learn how to make your own garments in no time at all.
- Class Start Date: 05 February 2022
- The classes are offered in small group classes (aprox 6 students), over 12 Saturdays. The classes will be in 3 hour sessions.
- Total of 4 Garments : 1 top from pattern, 1 basic bodice, 1 skirt/dress, 1 basic pants
- Students will receive 1 bonus online class showing you how to work with patterns.
- Class Price: R4500 (including a sewing kit) to secure your space 50% deposit is required.
- Students are required to have their own sewing machines, although we do offer sewing machine hire for R100 per 3 hour session.
- Classes will be held inside the Metro Lifestyle Centre stores, the confirmed locations the Centurion and Northgate stores.
- Centurion 08:30 – 11:30
- Northgate 13:00 – 16:00
Sewing machine – Threading, stitches, functions and troubleshooting. Practice different stitches, sewing straight.
Learn about different size charts, taking measurements correctly. How to read a store bought pattern and cutting out your size. The pattern will be a top and will cover sewing basics.
Cutting the pattern on fabric and sewing the pattern. You will sew darts, facings and sleeves.
Completing Sewing of the top. Start learning the basics of pattern drafting. Draft the basic bodice.
Cutting and sewing the basic bodice pattern: Sew darts, making bias binding, sewing an invisible zip and hemming the top.
Completing sewing Basic Bodice. Drafting the basic sleeve block.
Drafting a basic skirt block and understanding how to manipulate the skirt block. Draft a dress using the bodice and skirt block.
Cut and sew the skirt/dress.
Complete sewing skirt/dress
Drafting basic pants
Cutting and sewing basic pants
Complete sewing of pants and farewell.